Stuff that occurs to me

All of my 'how to' posts are tagged here. The most popular posts are about blocking and private accounts on Twitter, also the science communication jobs list. None of the science or medical information I might post to this blog should be taken as medical advice (I'm not medically trained).

Think of this blog as a sort of nursery for my half-baked ideas hence 'stuff that occurs to me'.

Contact: @JoBrodie Email: jo DOT brodie AT gmail DOT com

Science in London: The 2018/19 scientific society talks in London blog post

Saturday 3 September 2011

Facebook privacy, again

Facebook has tweaked its privacy settings again. You may want to block these options so that you're given a chance to OK anything in which you're tagged. Other than this it seems that Facebook has mostly improved its privacy settings of late. Still, best to keep your wits about you.

  • Click on Account > Privacy settings.
  • Scroll down to How tags work and click on Edit settings.
  • Edit settings to suit - most of these seems to be default to letting people tag you and check you in to places (which I'd originally had disabled I think, so check to make sure).

When I first went on this new page there was a little tour to tell me what each button does - I copied the text and added it below. In the picture the 'Friends' button is highlighted.


First button on the left that looks like a 'plus person' symbol
"Use this button to tag people to say who you're with. You can tag anyone. When you (or others) add tags, the people tagged and their friends may see the post too. You can choose to review tags others add to your stuff.
Note: we removed a setting that limited whether the friends of people you tagged could see a post. Now you control this by choosing who you tag and approving tags other people add to your content. Your old posts won't change."

Location button
"To easily say where you are, you can add your current city or neighborhood to your posts, or add a specific place. You can turn this on or off at any time."

Friends button (controls who can see this information)
"Use this to manage who can see and comment on posts you share, including ones with location, if you add it. When you change this setting, it will stay how you set it for future posts until you change it again. Posts (including check-ins) from old mobile Facebook apps will use your new default privacy setting.
Also, we've changed the label for "Everyone" to "Public," but your posts will still reach the same people."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment policy: I enthusiastically welcome corrections and I entertain polite disagreement ;) Because of the nature of this blog it attracts a LOT - 5 a day at the moment - of spam comments (I write about spam practices,misleading marketing and unevidenced quackery) and so I'm more likely to post a pasted version of your comment, removing any hyperlinks.

Comments written in ALL CAPS LOCK will be deleted and I won't publish any pro-homeopathy comments, that ship has sailed I'm afraid (it's nonsense).