Stuff that occurs to me

All of my 'how to' posts are tagged here. The most popular posts are about blocking and private accounts on Twitter, also the science communication jobs list. None of the science or medical information I might post to this blog should be taken as medical advice (I'm not medically trained).

Think of this blog as a sort of nursery for my half-baked ideas hence 'stuff that occurs to me'.

Contact: @JoBrodie Email: jo DOT brodie AT gmail DOT com

Science in London: The 2018/19 scientific society talks in London blog post

Monday 3 December 2012

In support of Lewisham A&E

I fell through a stepladder a few years ago and lacerated (their word) my leg. My flatmate called for an ambulance and off I went to Lewisham A&E for stitches and a tetanus shot.

Despite excellent care the wound didn't quite heal properly and I ended up having to have 'surgical debridement' where they cut back the bits that don't heal1 to a 'bleeding wound bed' after which 'regranulation' can occur. Thanks to the surgeon, Mr Sweeney (not a name you forget), anaesthetists2, nurses, cleaners and people who made me some toast... I and my leg made a full recovery over a couple of months (it was quite a big wound). I now look like I've had a rather triangular chunk taken out of my leg by a very neat shark.

It was a ridiculously hot summer (2003) and while it was all healing I managed to scratch the area just next to the large square plaster. The spreading red marks concerned me as I'd been warned to watch out for cellulitis and I took myself back to Lewisham A&E wondering if I was going to sound like a hypochondriac for saying at reception "I think I might have cellulitis". They didn't mess about and I got some antibiotics (amoxicillin and flucloxacillin3 and the suspected death mites cleared up in a few days.

So I'd be pretty sad if Lewisham A&E wasn't there, and from what I can gather, so would an awful lot of other local people. There are some things that people can read, sign or comment on in the links above.

It's not just Lewisham A&E, their maternity services are under threat too. More at Londonist.

Mind you, if they do have to close Lewisham A&E they might also want to do something about that massive gap between the platform and the trains at Lewisham railway station - I can't help thinking that probably results in the creation of a fair few patients.

Little superscripty footnotes
1. looking back, kinda gangrenous
2. who answered every question I asked about anaesthesia. I had that propofol in the back of my hand
3. I've never been able to pronounce that, although I can manage Eyjafjallajökull no bother thanks to the BBC's pronunciation guide.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment policy: I enthusiastically welcome corrections and I entertain polite disagreement ;) Because of the nature of this blog it attracts a LOT - 5 a day at the moment - of spam comments (I write about spam practices,misleading marketing and unevidenced quackery) and so I'm more likely to post a pasted version of your comment, removing any hyperlinks.

Comments written in ALL CAPS LOCK will be deleted and I won't publish any pro-homeopathy comments, that ship has sailed I'm afraid (it's nonsense).